About Interiors FurnishingsWorking with You Attache Design Press PGD Blog Contact Us

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Fall High Point Market ~ Part III


The Sustainable Furnishings Council was well represented at this Market. They have three heavy hitters as their spokesmen. I attended their Summit. The Council's president, Jeff Hiller, moderated the round table discussion with Vladimir Kagan, Thom Filicia, and Alexander Julian. When the Council went in search of their spokesmen, they researched them. They wanted people that didn't just start being green with the latest trends but folks that have been practicing it, demonstrating that it can be done well. Thom Filicia, as many of you know, has begun a green line of furniture with Vanguard. I plan to look into his line in much more detail. I wasn't able to see it due to my unexpected departure. Still I want to give a nod to those that went through the long training day (missed that too but I am taking the webinar version right now) and to the companies that have passed the Council's strict guidelines. When I am finished with my training in December, it will render me a 'Certified Green Designer' for clients would like to work with one. How wonderful!

In addition to Thom's line at Vanguard, here are a few more furnishing lines that are recognized by the Sustainable Furnishings Council.....

Boulevard Echo Upholstery


Palecek


West Brothers


Lee (natural Lee)


Tomlinson/Erwin-Lambeth


Ibolili
Plus many more ~ easily find what you need on the Council's website.

Ok, I have completed my moral greening behavior.

Now its time to sin with shameless name dropping.

This is how I started my day.....

Thom Filicia was the kind soul I remembered him to be. Full of hugs and kisses. We discussed his green Vanguard line and wondered out loud to him why they didn't have a designer program. Thom did not know. Hmmm... I wonder if he'll mention it to them?! After seeing the line, which I'm sure I'll love given what I saw in his show house, I'll bring it up again with Vanguard.



This how I ended my day....
I met Margaret Russell from Elle Decor at her book signing soiree. She was lovely and patient. She was also cold. It was chilly in the tent and she had on short sleeves. I commiserated with Margaret as she kept removing her throat lozenge from her mouth to smile for pictures. We both look a bit like deer in the headlight as my friend has minor technical difficulties with the camera.

What a wonderful day ~ that is until I drove home to be with my daughter. No worries, Lauren is fine AND my coverage is not yet done. I saved the best for last. It will be part of my Fun Friday post. First, the winner of the E~Design contest will be announced (you can still vote until 8:00 pm EST tonight) and then on to the best part, the very fun and inspiring part of Market!

Stay tuned.....

5 comments:

  1. Wow, two great ICONS of interior design in one day. I am jealous! Sounds like a great day to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you had a fabulous day! Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing all the beautiful furniture! Now aren't you just the cutest thing! How nice to get to meet these folks. How nice for them to get to meet you!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristin,
    I keep looking at the bed you designed. It is so freakin' awesome. I LOVE it!
    Paula Grace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, for featuring it. I'm really pleased with the way it turned out. Nothing like sketching something and then waiting 10 weeks to see how it turns out in person. The PVC free fabric can be cleaned with a spray cleaner.

    ReplyDelete

How wonderful! You are leaving me a comment. Thank you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin