About Interiors FurnishingsWorking with You Attache Design Press PGD Blog Contact Us

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Akeelah and the Bee

My daughter, Lauren, and I, watched this wonderful movie last night. I continue to think about it today over and over. That's how much of an impression it made on me ~ and hopefully Lauren as well. We'll talk about the movie more after Girl Scouts. It's a story about a candidate in the national spelling bee ~ I don't want to give it away. I can tell you that Lauren and I were cheering at the end of the movie as if we just saw Rocky for the first time.

Akeelah is a little girl who created a coping mechanism of spelling after the death of her beloved father. This mechanism became an asset. The story includes themes of friendship, family, love, faith, empathy, nurturance, risk-taking, drive, community, doing the right thing, perseverance, and integrity. It takes two grief stricken humans and gives them purpose. It is an excellent movie to watch with your children ~ excellent! It has an amazing cast with Lawrence Fishburne (who also produced it), Angela Bassett, and Keke Palmer as Akeelah. Keke did a magnificent job in her role ~ just stunning. Here is a clip to peruse before you make a commitment.



The movie boasts a fabulous quote that I believe with my mind, heart, and soul.....

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

Brilliant!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful quote, it's one of my favs! How beautiful the world would be if we all believed this! Thanks for sharing ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete

How wonderful! You are leaving me a comment. Thank you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin