About Interiors FurnishingsWorking with You Attache Design Press PGD Blog Contact Us

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Charity Spotlight ~ Save the Music

You have probably heard of the benefits of music ~ mind, heart, and soul. Research supports this again and again. In Eric Jensen's book Music with the Brain in Mind, he paraphrases the benefits nicely.....

"The evidence suggests that musical arts are central to learning. The systems they nourish (which include our integrated sensory, attentional. cognitive, emotional, and motor capacity processes) are in fact, the driving force behind all learning....... learning with the arts provides more opportunity to develop these multiple brain systems......"

In my small sample (so far) of interviews with successful artists, it is clear art played a major role in their development. Byron Jorjorian grew up in a family full of artists. Andy Skurman pursued the arts despite family objections. Today he is one of the most successful architects. This week I will start posts of my interview with Andy. You'll read for yourself his experience in his own words.

Here is in brief what Save the Music does.....


"The VH1 Save The Music Foundation helps develop long-term, sustainable instrumental music programs that provide children with equal access to music education regardless of their financial situation. Through strategic partnerships with school districts, the Foundation provides brand-new musical instruments to public elementary and middle schools, jump-starting dormant music programs across the country. The school districts commit to funding certified music teachers’ salaries, providing maintenance and supplies, and scheduling instrumental music classes during the school day. The Foundation maintains a partnership with the district until instrumental music is in place in every school. The VH1 Save The Music Foundation is dedicated to restoring instrumental music programs to ensure that all children have access to a complete education. In the communities with which we grant, we work at the district level, from the top down. If a need for instrumental music education exists, we look to the superintendent and school board for a commitment to restore music in every school within a district. With a common goal of fully rebuilding, community partnerships are created and instrumental music education is brought back to life."

Brilliant!

If you read my blog, you know that I am always introducing my daughter Lauren to different forms of art ~ music in particular. I believe it is essential to her development. At the age of 6, she has already written her first song. She could speak in complete sentences when children her age were uttering one or two words. I am not bragging, it's just a fact. She has been listening to music and hearing books read to her since I found out I was pregnant. A coincidence that she is the way she is ~ maybe ~ but I believe not. She has also taken a strong interest in dance and theater. Pursuits I encourage and support. I drove five little girls to theater camp everyday (if you have ever done that you can understand) so yes, I support her pursuits. She has not shown an interest in an instrument.... yet.

Many popular musicians support the Save the Music Foundation ~ Beyoncé, 3 Doors Down, Natasha Bedingfield, and John Mayer to name a few.

I had the pleasure of attending the Save the Music Concert ~ One Splendid Evening ~ earlier this year. It was a wonderful show! Take a look at this duet ~ John Mayer and Jordin Sparks. It was the highlight of the evening.....



After the concert, my sister and I sailed off into the sunset on the Mayercraft II, but that is another story. Just one note on that ~ it was much rockier than the first Mayercraft ~ not music wise ~ in "man, do I feel queasy" wise.

If you would like to learn more about the benefits of music, read Eric Jensen's book. Its a good and easy read....


Please consider donating to the Save the Music Foundation. Do do so now, simply click here.

I'll leave you with an important song in my life. It carried me though on many occasions. Enjoy.....



1 comment:

  1. The cruise was a blast! Yes, queasy-making, but I thought that was all the sparkling wine I consumed.

    ReplyDelete

How wonderful! You are leaving me a comment. Thank you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin